A Still Life


I remember my art teacher when I was 12 years old who taught me the principles of creating a still life drawing or painting. I learned that in art I could capture time and not let it pass, but keep it as a secret keepsake in this treasure chest of life. Thank you to My First Love; My Lord and Savior. For it is He who gives and creates, teaching us through this journey. I am forever grateful to see His extraordinary glory in every ordinary moment.

"...be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth" Psalm 46:10


Saturday, December 4, 2010

December Reflection

Christmas @ my mom's ~ 2009
December ~ and I am looking at last year's family pics while pulling out decorations at my home. This is my mom's parlor. Antiques, Satins, Moire, Crystals, and French influences. Always pretty whatever time of year. In Summer is bright Shabby Whites/Pastels. In Winter the touches for the Holidays just fit in as though they are expected here. Aging is not unwelcome here. I love this photo because somehow my mother's hands have designed a room with elegant simplicity. Things I have seen for many years, but cared for and carefully placed. She has even embellished her pillows with vintage needlepoint belting, tasseled trims, vintage rhinestoned brooches. And all around, on every wall is a museum of oil paintings. Her story of a life filled with experience. She can't paint as fluently she once could. Her hands tell why. Her colors have changed on her more recent paintings. Her eyes must see differently than they used to. Yet it is all so beautiful to me.
I am usually so busy this time of year as we all are. This Christmas will be different for me. I will see differently than I used to. I'll be Home for Christmas. I don't have to travel to get home. Home is where the heart is and my heart is with my family.

Thank you to my online friends and customers. You mean so much to me! Have the Merriest Christmas, the Happiest Hanukkah, a Prosperous New Year! And for those of you who may be feeling just a bit less Merry this year ~ you are truly not alone.  May God Bless you with renewed hope and health and peace.

Merry Christmas, Joyeux Noel, Feliz Navidad, Buon Natale!
PatricePastel

No comments: